Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hatching some adventures

I'm not really an adventurous mother.  I do enjoy getting out with the boys, but I typically require backup--Cory.  The boys didn't have school two Fridays ago, and rather than stick around Greenville where I would surely be lulled into housework, I packed up the boys and hit the road to the state fish hatchery.  The road, the place, and the trails are filled with childhood memories for me, and I wanted to share them with my boys. I credit Elgin's birth after a particularly inactive gestation for my willingness to get out with the boys on my own--staying in isn't an option.  Plus, with boys, you don't really have to use a public restroom.

The path to the hatchery
 Making the fish jump (Although, by the time I took a picture, they caught on that no food was flying from H's hand.)
 Picking up rocks, of course
So many brook, brown, and rainbow trout.  These mature fish are just kept for kicks, and H figured out how to jiggle the fish food dispenser so that we could throw out some free food since I didn't think to bring in change.
 Have to keep a close watch on this one!
 Taking the bridge to the trails
 H took this one
 Nice stump for a quick snack
 Taking over the backpack
 Thank you, Elgin.  You made me a little braver.
And, Elgin, you're quite the adventure, yourself!

No comments: