Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Our 3.9 year old

I met with Henry's head teacher, Ms. Susan, this morning for the parent/ teacher conference.  Here's what I learned:
  • Henry remains an enthusiastic learner and wants to participate in the activities and hates to miss out
  • He sees himself as a reader, picking up books and discussing the illustrations and even using some memorized words and sight words
  • Henry's art appreciation just might be growing.  Ms. Susan says he never picks an art activity at first, but it's easy to get him to sit down to draw, and he absolutely loves to discuss his drawings
  • He and his BFF C pick the computer center together whenever possible and actually are rather fun to watch as they tell each other what to do
  • His number sense is well advanced, and he does great with addition and subtraction both with and without visuals
  • Henry plays well with all of the kids in the class but definitely has a close bond with C.  Ms. Susan says she loves how excited they are to see each other.
  • The five year old girls try to play "getting married," and Henry denies their proposals and brings them to tears
  • He verbalizes displeasure to his friends and isn't a tattletale.  She even says she saw him walk away from a few situations that he didn't like.
  • He tells great jokes
She also explained that she had to use the three year old assessment but that she could easily use the four year old assessment tool, which is used through age five.  Now, of course I love hearing all these wonderful things about my son, but the best thing to hear is that he is happy and active.  And, since I get to hang out in the classroom while I'm on leave, I'm fairly positive that Ms. Susan isn't just blowing smoke up my enlarged you-know-what.

I am so glad he's not a tattle-tale.  Is it the teacher's daughter in me?

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm so glad he's not a tattletale either, because K is and it is annoying has HELL I tell you. He's a special kid, Ginny. But of course you know that :). Love the picture!