Thursday, November 10, 2011

No Milk. No Soy. Oh, boy!

Today marks our second week of a milk-free diet.  Milk resides in tons of foods, and soy likes to sneak in, too.  Really, it's not nearly as bad as I at first anticipated it to be, but I want to see instant results.  Instead, today marks the first day that we should even expect to see improvement.  Two Thursdays ago was the only time that we saw blood in his stool, but his diapers are, without going into too much detail, rather messy.  He certainly has a marked increase in fussiness while eating, too, which we are also addressing and hopefully resolving soon.

I spent some time on the phone with Dr. Song yesterday, and she assured me that staying the course is the right thing to do.  It's too soon to cut out anything else like eggs or nuts since we may already see slight improvement, and, as she said, I have to eat something.  

It's really hard to know that my sweet baby hurts, and I hope that, in several more days, he will be completely rid of the proteins that irritate his system and that he will be completely healed from any intestinal damge.  Oh, how I wish I knew from the beginning that cow's milk would harm my baby.  I would never have touched the stuff!  

Our sweet Elgin is still a sweet, happy baby, though.  I am thankful for his disposition and for his health.  I don't think that a day will go by that I don't feel a whoosh of gratitude for his life. 

No comments: