Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The humor of it

Cory and I both made a decision to be a lot more positive when it comes to dealing with Henry's whining.  I know that I can't change others, only myself, so I decided to apply it to my boy.  Now, of course, I was thinking that it might have a chance of quelling some of the whiiiiiinnnniiinnngggg, and, guess what.  It did.

Every child is different and needs different things, and Henry really, really needs laughter at any expense-mine, his, Daddy's, Penny's, the wall's... anything.  If he refuses to get in his bed and wants to lie on the floor and whine, then I say, "Oh, you made me so happy!  I really, really wanted to pick you up and toss you in the bed!"  The whining stops, and it's replaced with my favorite sound--his laughter.

I also know that not letting on that my skin crawls is part of the reason why the whine is short-lived.  I mean, who doesn't like getting under their mother's skin?  I know I sure enjoy it.  If he's not getting the expected result, then why continue?

And, I know that no child is perfect, but these last few days, I am feeling like everything is back to being pretty close to perfect.

Last night, I thought he was about to start whining after he got in bed, which would have been expected since it was well past his bedtime.  He made a sad, pouty lip face and reached for Coco (his favorite stuffed elephant) and said, "Coco always wants to be with me, but, tonight, he has a cold.  Mama, I need you to take care of him for me."  Then he handed me Coco and selected a different stuffed animal.  Once that was over, I asked if he thought Coco might feel better, and he said, "Yes, I can sleep with him now.  He's not feeling sick anymore."

Grave subject, but no whining involved.

No comments: