Here's what I learned about parenting a long time ago... everything, and I do mean everything, will backfire eventually.
Today, when I picked up H from school, I noticed that his eyes were a little swollen, which wasn't surprising since I've just been sort of waiting to see if his cold results in the umpteenth sinus infection. The first day of the onset is very hard since he gets super cranky. I braced myself, but I didn't give in when he insisted that I carry his hoodie down the hall. Nope. I carry EW, you carry your jacket.
Then, since I didn't carry the hoodie, he was fire spitting' mad when we got to the car, and he insisted that he get in the car first. No big deal. Ahhhh... but he didn't want to go around to his side or climb over from Elgin's side. So, he ended up crumpling on the curb after he tried to block me from putting in Elgin's carseat.
Then, he refused to go to the other side to get in his seat. So, I carried my screaming child. I laughed and said that I was definitely going to have to toss him into his seat. I said, "Are you ready? One... two... three... here we go! "
"You'll hurt me! You'll hurt me! You'll hurt me! You'll hurt me!"
Our audience? An entire class returning from their walk around campus. One teacher even took a few steps out of her path to say hello. I know she was checking for abuse.
And since it's tuition time, another parent got to witness my struggle to get him strapped in while she sat in her car to write a check.
Backfire.
1 comment:
I can remember his dad doing almost the very same thing :)
Post a Comment