A recent conversation with Kayce regarding Greek yogurt led me to research my tongue's condition in which it reacts very strongly to warm drinks, acidic foods, some spicy foods, and some random food and drink combinations. Oh, and if I singe my tongue on coffee (I love super strong, black, highly acidic coffee.), then it's all over. A dental hygienist named it for me once when the specks off the teeth cleaning material were landing on my tongue, and it immediately started getting its little bumps and swirls.
I thought she said it was a "Universal Tongue." And, I swear that she said it was called "universal," because the condition makes the surface of my tongue look like a solar system, complete with little stars and planets.
I wasn't under any anesthesia.
It turns out that a universal tongue is the idea of a shared language.
However, I landed on the proper tongue name, and I know, on some small scale, how some of my clients feel when they finally get the correct diagnosis for their condition. Hallelujah! Knowledge sets you free!
Click here for Geographical Tongue's definition and symptoms. Surely, others need to know.
It also helps explain why frozen, fruity cocktails have long been off the menu for me. No matter how tasty, the itchy, painful spots are not worth it. I won't part with my spicy, acidic food, though. Or super strong black coffee. I'll dance with the geographic devil for those things.
2 comments:
Had never heard of that, so I researched it a little also... seems it only affects 2% of the population, women three times as often as men, and especially during "high hormonal times" such as pregnacy. Very interesting....
whatever percent of the population has it....I bet you are the first blog about it. You have just launched a new campaign-Save the Papillae!
-D
Post a Comment