Monday, June 6, 2011

Freshman Week

As Henry and Daddy are on their way to school this morning for Henry's first full week of College CDC, I thought it would be appropriate to catch you up on how the first week went.

May 30, Day 1:  Orientation day--Henry spent a couple of hours playing outside and in the classroom while Daddy and I met with the teacher and the director.  It seems that our reputation precedes us as the director asked, "Now, you are coming from the yW?"  And, then, after our affirmation, "Yes... I know all about that.  I am on the board."  Later, as we covered who to speak with if issues should come up, she said, "And, clearly, you already know who to speak with to address issues."  Ha!  At least they are aware of who they are dealing with when it comes to our son.

May 31, Day 2:  First Full Day--There will be no bragging about how the morning went.  Daddy forgot to put Henry's nap blankets in the dryer.  I happened to think of it as I groggily woke up and heard the boys doing the teeth brushing part of getting ready.  Blankets were thrown in the dryer, and then we remembered to put H's sunscreen on.  We were rushed.  I fussed at Daddy.  Henry said, "Mama, you fussed at Daddy.  Maybe we should just go."  Then his face crumbled when we explained that only Daddy would be taking him.  "But I'll miss you!"  We didn't handle this morning well.  Shame.  Then, no nap.  Mr. Cranky Pants returned home with Daddy that afternoon.  He did eventually tell us that they played "Old Man" at group time, which, as it turns out, entails singing "This Old Man" with some fun pantomimes.

June 1, Day 3:  What a relief!  H did great in the morning, and so did we.  We even had some play time to utilize a few extra(!) minutes before the boys left the house.  I think that I was more helpful and less harmful on this morning.  Also, he took a nap--a huge deal for our boy.  He had lots of things to tell us when he returned home, and he is remembering his new friends' names.  He also ate Chicken Alfredo for lunch.  We like hearing him talk about Chicken Alfredo, and we love not fixing his lunch!

Henry is slowly taking charge of Penny's breakfast.  It's a big responsibility since we can't feed her until she calms down, and she has to wait for him to say, "OK."
Cute!
June 2, Day 4:  Another successful morning with some play time alloted since he did so well.  I cannot tell you how proud I am of his independence in the midst of this change.  He dresses himself, although it takes lots of reminders to stay focused since he is always, always compelled to talk and entertain.  He took a nap!  He brought home some artwork and told us a few more things about his new school, including his excitement about playing with the marble tower.  He loves it.  He did not eat his hummus.

Reading time in the morning?  Unreal!
Early morning train play followed by compliance when time to leave.  
June 3, Day 5:  The morning went very well again, and we were feeling pretty confident, too.  So far, if we stick to both encouraging Henry as opposed to snapping about other stuff with each other, Henry does quite well.  Imagine.  Duh?  He asked Daddy to stay with him for a little while when they got to the classroom, Daddy obliged, and Henry showed him his fairly complex morning routine.  Then he showed Daddy the beloved marble tower.  No nap this time, though, so he came back pretty cranky.  When he is especially cranky, it's best to let him do the talking without us inquiring about his day.  

H puts on his shoes by himself.
Penny waits in anticipation of him feeding her... calmly.  
Yep.  We were worried over, well, nothing.  Of course Henry will do well at his new school!  We're not kidding ourselves, though.  The excitement will wear off soon enough, and it's quite possible that H will hit a wall.  At least, though, we are doing quite well for now.

No comments: