There was some parenting article that I skimmed recently that suggested not passing on your math anxiety to your kids. Believe it or not, I think we already knew not to teach Henry to hate math. Go figure.
I have to say that I am quite proud of Cory and me for working math into our daily narrative with Henry, and this morning, I realized that taking advantage of Henry's enthusiasm for learning might be working. For several months, he has been able to answer our questions about, "How many pillows will be left if I take one from this stack before you try to hurdle it?" or "If Mama puts two more grapes on your plate, how many will you have?" Of course, there are clear visuals to prompt his answers.
This morning, though, I told H that I would let him watch his show after he took four more bites of his scrambled egg. He took two, and then he said, "Now I need to take two more bites!" The mathematical statement was unprompted by me, and I lack the education jargon to explain how it's different, but it is. I thought it was rather cool, and now I am getting away with myself. Is it possible that my verbal chid has a potentially well rounded academic future? My child?
For the record, we do not make eggs and such on a typical week day morning, and television is never an option, either. Today was a special Daddy and son waterpark day, and they didn't have to leave the house until 10:00 AM.
Waterpark + Crocs = Wiggle Room
Too much Wiggle Room + Television = Late Departure for Waterpark
No comments:
Post a Comment