Well, it happened on January 1, 2010, and it happened again on January 1, 2011... no schedule, late night, and a very late nap all equaled a cranky, defiant, and full on difficult Henry. Why didn't we learn our lesson last year? I guess because it's been a full year since such a rough day. Poor kid. I finally pulled out one of the tricks that works best with him--shock. I looked him in the eyes and said in my sweetest, motherly voice, "Henry. You are a sweet boy. I know you can be sweet right now and stay in this bed. I just know you can do it! You can be sweet!"
It worked. And he explained, "but I'm sad and I'm still angry." We talked about how it's OK to be sad and angry, but that he still cannot hit and needs to listen to us. He understands, but I know he's beyond reason when he's that tired.
Perhaps we'll start 2011 off with a valuable lesson. Again. Sufficient naps and a regular bedtime are of the utmost importance for our boy.
Here's to January 1, 2012!
1 comment:
Henry is NOT alone. We have had a couple of the hardest days ever as parents these past couple of days and lack of sleep and too many toys to sort through are the culprit in this house. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday and are through the rough patch:)! Wish us luck!
Post a Comment