There are plenty of times that Henry starts to whine, and I feel like my skin could crawl off my body and escape on its own. It makes my ears hurt. True, he was sick with a cold when I took the above pictures, but he was crying and whining because Cory wasn't playing hide and seek again after about ten rounds of pretending that he didn't know exactly where he was. Sometimes I wonder if he whines more than is developmentally appropriate and if I project the stress of my everyday life on my son way too much. Did I do irreversible damage? It's true that whining is unacceptable to me. Maybe my intolerance makes him whine more? Is he whining more now that he's a big brother? I can't really tell. It's just saddening to me when tiny disappointments make him whine then escalate to a loud cry. I just know that I feel sad even after it's corrected, which usually means addressing an accompanying listening issue, which is also taxing and highly irritating.
Maybe it will end eventually. I don't think he is this way all the time, and it's certainly amplified when he's with Daddy and me, so it's possibly a form of flattery--his way of saying that he's comfortable enough to let out his ugly feelings around us. No matter what, I hope we'll be back to seeing a lot more of these faces that refill my tank.
I find myself praying more to help me to be a patient mother. The last thing I want is for my sons to remember me mostly saying, "I can't understand you when you whine."
2 comments:
I think it's an "older boy of two brothers syndrome":) We had one of those! It does subside- I said the Lord's Prayer a few hundred times when Jax was 3 and 4 to help calm my nerves. Watch out though- I was worried that we'd have two whiners and we got the polar opposite- Maddex has a temper accompanied by pure stubborn-ness. Good luck and have fun, they are so worth it:)
Whining makes my skin crawl too, so you're not alone. :)
Post a Comment