Today, my oldest son's school was on lockdown while a man who attempted to shoot a police officer was being searched for in a three mile radius. At first, I was calm, but then I started to get super antsy and anxious. Daddy picked him up as soon as the lockdown was lifted. He's fine. We're all safe inside our home on the cold, rainy Friday evening.
I love my family. I love my three boys so much.
Henry doesn't know that the campus was locked and no one was allowed to leave or enter or that there were parents whose hearts skipped beats every time a news bulletin flashed. He doesn't know that Daddy had to speak with a police officer before entering the one open gate later in the afternoon. He came home happy as could be, and his sweet face instantly washed away my fear.
We played "I Spy" and a pattern game and listened to a Halloween Party station on Pandora. We watched "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," and had just a generally silly evening. When H got out of the shower, he declared himself a kid monster who takes people's skin and throws it in the trash and leaves pull ups on the floor and doesn't cover his mouth when he coughs. (Aside from the skin part, it was very endearing.)
He doesn't know that I held his sleeping little brother and paced the floor this afternoon. What he does know is that he's comfortable--safe and happy.
I love my kid monster. I love him.
No comments:
Post a Comment