Thursday, May 19, 2011

You Raise Them to Leave You

It's the circle of life.  In so many ways.
We opted to let the butterflies fly free on Friday evening.  Henry was excited about their departure.  
One of them even flew to the garden, and according to Daddy, when they went to water the garden later, it actually landed on H's shirt and stayed there for a little while.

Not all of the ladies, a term I use loosely, left, though.  It seems that a couple of our younguns opted for a honeymoon.  
They grow up so fast, I guess?  We let them have another night together.  The next day, we let them go, but one didn't make it out unassisted.  It was dead.  What does it all mean?????  (It means that we shouldn't have left the net on the deck since it contained fermenting fruit that attracted a small colony of ants who just might be a Painted Lady predator.  I'm considering using it for a sex ed illustration later, though.  Henry, it will kill you!)

Henry made quick work of dissecting the dead lady.  C'est la vie!  

No comments: