Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Henry's Book Club


Here's Henry at 12 months requesting that we read his big Corduroy book.  We began reading a book soon after bringing him home from the hospital--Goodnight Moon for starters--each night before bed, and he quickly developed a love for all things illustrated and wordy, and reading became his and our favorite activity.  I cannot resist ordering new books from his Scholastic order forms each month, and we have quite a long list of favorites, including those books we started with about two years ago.

I'm going to attempt a not-nearly-inclusive list of some of his current favorites...

He's really into Dr. Seuss lately--especially The Cat in the Hat.

We were a little worried about having a Curious George anthology, but so far, we haven't had to read it from cover to cover.  He likes selecting a couple of stories out of this one.

This Thomas book is really good for reading on the potty.

Henry started reciting parts of this book, "That's enough, David!  Come back here!" randomly from his car seat right after we got it--around 18 months--but took it quite personally if we ever recited it to him.  He also tore a page out of "No, David!" which I find ironic. All of his David Shannon books are among his favorites, including "David Gets in Trouble," "Duck on a Bike," "The Rain Came Down," and "Good Boy, Fergus." 

Daddy and I disagree about how to read this one, but it's fun no matter how it's read.  I think Henry likes the part about crossing the river best.  The whole family is carrying their shoes, and he thinks it's neat.

His favorite part of this book is identifying what the bunny turns into in each scenario.  It's also a good potty-sitting book.

Henry still enjoys the occasional Boynton book, and he'll pull out some older favorites every once in a while, including a few really short ones, which is nice when bedtime is running a little late.  We're really looking forward to putting together his new bookshelf (Thanks Nana and Granddad!) so that he can have better book visibility at reading selection time.

 I'm thankful that we still have an avid reader--even after the introduction of Thomas the Tank Engine on TV!

No comments: