Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Full Measure of Happiness

The first black President of the United States (with a Muslim-Swahili name) was just inaugurated, and it suddenly feels very real that this country can, indeed, be a land of opportunity for everyone--that anyone can reach their "full measure of happiness."  I am filled with emotions but mostly find myself grateful for this day and for what it means to my son who knows very little unhappiness, save for some teething that sometimes wakes him at night.  I pray that today marks a road to repair for this country--his home where he will grow into adulthood and keep that amazing smile.

Daddy and I will talk to him about this day and tell him how it made us feel--how it made our friends and the whole world feel.  We will tell him about how we snuggled with him in our bed and watched as Barack Obama, son of an immigrant from Africa and product of a mixed-race marriage, made his acceptance speech, emphasizing hope, unity, and responsibility, on Election night.  We will tell him that he has a responsibility to love and accept everyone as we encounter God in each of his creatures.  It is our dream that we will work to be better people and that, in doing so, our son will be  one of "the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things."  

I love my God, my family, my world, and my country.  It is a GREAT day, even if the snow skipped Greenville!  

No comments: